Academic Documents

What does “official transcript” mean?

A transcript is official if it bears the authorizing signature and the official seal of the issuing institution and is sent directly by the school or college to the Admissions office or sealed in a school or college envelope and mailed or delivered to Admissions by you. If you open the envelope, the transcript is no longer official. Gnomon also accepts electronic transcript submission.

Records from schools abroad must be originals, official, and in the native language, accompanied by official English translations.

I’ve already sent my transcripts to Gnomon. Do I need to send a new copy each time I apply?
The Admissions office will keep transcripts and other credentials it receives for one calendar year.
What if I cannot fulfill the high school requirement with the documents I possess?
Please visit the American Council on Education website for information about General Equivalency Diploma testing.

Financial Aid

I think I might need financial aid. How do I know if I’m eligible?

Gnomon is authorized by the government to offer financial aid to those who qualify. At Gnomon, federal financial aid is only available to students accepted and enrolled into full-time programs.

For students registering for individual and/or online courses, federal assistance is not available. A private education loan may be an alternative for financial assistance. For more information about an education loan, email:

All students interested in seeking federal financial assistance should complete the Free Application for Federal Assistance (FAFSA) at Include Gnomon’s School Code of 040764 so that it is sent to us for review.

Which programs at Gnomon are eligible for Federal Financial Aid?

Gnomon offers two programs that are eligible for financial aid:

  1. Digital Production for Entertainment
  2. Entertainment Design for Digital Production
What are the different types of financial aid available?
Gnomon offers Federal Pell Grants, Work-Study, Direct Loans and/or Parent PLUS Loans to students who qualify.
I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?
Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don’t qualify and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply. In addition, there are a few sources of aid such as Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans and PLUS loans that are available regardless of need. The FAFSA application is free so it doesn’t hurt to apply.
Will my parents’ income affect my financial aid?

When you complete the FAFSA, you will answer questions that determine dependency status. If you are considered dependent, you will be required to enter your parents’ tax information for consideration.

For more information on dependency status, click here.

If your answers determine that you are independent, you will not be asked for your parents’ information.

What is the difference between government loans and private loans?

Federal student loans include many benefits such as fixed interest rates and various repayment plans not typically offered with private loans. In contrast, private loans are credit-based and generally more expensive than federal student loans because of higher interest rates.

Detailed information about these differences can be found here.

How do I complete my FAFSA?

To prepare for the FAFSA, please watch this short video.

When you are ready, go to to complete the FAFSA online.

When should I apply?

A new Financial Aid award year begins each July and covers Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring quarters. You must renew your FAFSA every year. You can apply or renew as early as January of each year, but we recommend that you complete your taxes for the prior year before doing so. To receive maximum consideration for aid, it is best to complete the FAFSA at least eight weeks prior to the start date of the term you wish to enter.

For this QuarterApply By
Summer 2015: July 6thMay 2015
Fall 2015: October 5thAugust 2015
Winter 2016: January 11thNovember 2015
Spring 2016: April 11thFebruary 2016

For the best results, apply after you file income taxes so that FAFSA can verify tax information.

In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?
Yes. In order to receive federal aid from year to year, you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The FAFSA covers the time between July 1st of one year to June 30th of the next. You can file the FAFSA starting in the month of January of the year you want to apply for. If necessary, you may estimate your taxes to complete the form, but we recommend waiting until you’ve completed your taxes.
When will I find out about how much financial aid I will be receiving?
The first step is completing the (FAFSA) online at Our school code is 040764. Once we receive the FAFSA, we can create an estimate for your entire program within a day or two. From there, we will schedule a meeting with you to discuss your options. You can even do this before you apply for admissions. Just give us a call when you have the FAFSA completed and we can get started.
Will the financial aid offered at one school transfer to another school?
Not necessarily. Federal financial aid does transfer from school to school. Students planning to transfer to another school should contact the Financial Aid Office at both schools to find out what is required.
If I have outstanding loans, what is the likelihood of getting more aid?

It depends. The government limits the amount of aid students can receive in federal loans so that you don’t incur too much debt. As long as you have not defaulted on your previous loans, the total maximum the government will consider lending you as a student is:

DependentUp to $31,000
IndependentUp to $57,500
I am not a U.S. Citizen, will I qualify for financial aid?
If you are an eligible non-citizen with an Alien Registration number you could qualify for financial aid. Generally, if you have a “green card” (in other words, if you are a permanent resident alien), you will be considered an “eligible noncitizen” and will be able to get federal student aid if you meet the other basic eligibility criteria. Full details of the immigration status that qualifies you as an eligible noncitizen are listed here for Non U.S. Citizens.
Will financial aid cover the cost of living while I attend Gnomon?
Federal financial aid may help with living expenses. For those students who are determined to be dependent, the Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan is a good option. For independent students, a private education loan would be the best option. For more information contact
What private loans are available to me?
Prior to considering a private loan, the Financial Aid office will first apply any federal funding you may be eligible for. Beyond that, our Financial Aid Office may counsel students on the Career Training loan from Sallie Mae. This loan is used to help make up the gap between Financial Aid and the total cost of attending Gnomon, including estimated living expenses. Unlike federal loans, approval for a Sallie Mae is based on your personal credit history. You may have a better chance of securing a lower interest rate with a credit-worthy co-signer.
Does Gnomon provide or accept scholarships?
While there are many financial options to assist you at Gnomon, we do not currently offer institutional scholarships. However, Gnomon will accept scholarship funds provided from other sources. Please contact your scholarship provider for more information.
Who can I call for more information regarding Financial Aid at Gnomon?
Begin with Gnomon’s Financial Aid Office. Contact us at (323) 466-6663 or by email at You will be directed accordingly from there. The Financial Aid Office is open Monday through Friday, from 9am to 6pm; however, additional days and times may be available by appointment.
What happens if I withdraw from school?
That depends on when you withdraw. You have the ability to withdraw anytime during the first seven days of any term without penalty. If you withdraw during the first six weeks of a quarter, we are required to prorate your charges and financial aid and send back any funds that are considered ‘unearned.’ If you withdraw between terms, there is no refund. In addition, you must complete an Exit Interview as part of your obligation to the federal government. During the Exit Interview, the Financial Aid Office will advise you who to repay and what to expect in repayment status. Usually students have a 6 month grace period before repayment begins. You will hear from a loan servicer (an agency that the government has assigned to service your loan) within 6 months after you withdraw.
Helpful Links:


Federal Student Aid by the Department of Education