Applying to Gnomon

I just want to take a couple of classes. Do I need to submit an application?
No—applications are only required for students who wish to pursue full-time programs, including our BFA program and our 2-Year Certificate in Digital Production program. Individual courses are open for registration. You can view the registration opportunities for each term on our academic calendar.
How do I know if my portfolio is good enough to apply?
Our Admissions team is available to conduct preliminary portfolio reviews to help you determine if you’re ready to apply. You are welcome to give us a call to schedule an appointment, or send an email to to get started. You can also start by reviewing our portfolio guidelines.
I’m still working on my portfolio. When should I submit my application?
You do not need to submit your portfolio at the same time as the application itself. If you are planning to apply for an upcoming term, we recommend submitting your online application first—once received, you’ll be given a login to our student portal to review your other missing/received items and documents. Please bear in mind that space in each term is limited, so it’s recommended that you apply with plenty of time before the posted deadline. You can review our term dates and deadlines on our academic calendar.
How long does it take to find out if I’ve been accepted?
Gnomon operates on a rolling admissions system, and internal reviews are conducted year-round. Once all application materials and requirements have been received and completed, we will conduct our review and contact you with a result within one to three weeks.
What can I expect in the interview?
The interview exists to ensure you’re an appropriate fit for Gnomon. We’re seeking candidates who are researched about their industry, passionate, creative, and dedicated to success.
Can I transfer classes in from another school?
Students who have earned college credits from other institutions can be reviewed for credit. Whether or not credits are transferrable depends on which courses were taken and performance in each.
Do individual classes offer certificates?
No- certificates are only awarded upon graduation from a full-time program at Gnomon. You can, however, request a transcript upon completion of your class.
Does Gnomon offer housing?
Although Gnomon does not own or operate campus or non-campus student housing, we aim to provide incoming students with the necessary information and resources to assist in their housing search. We recommend students begin to explore housing options several months before their expected move in date.
Gnomon has established a relationship with Kapi Residences to provide students with off-campus, furnished student apartments just minutes from campus. For more information on Kapi Residences and other options, please see the Housing & Visitor’s Guide or visit our Housing section.
Will I be able to work while attending Gnomon?
Due to the advanced nature of our courses and programs and high volume of projects and homework, it is recommended that full-time students focus primarily on their studies while attending.
When can I visit campus?
We offer a Open Houses, which is a great opportunity to tour our campus, speak with Admissions representatives, and learn more about the Entertainment industry and our educational options. You can view our open house schedule for more details. If you are unable to attend, you can set up a personal tour and appointment by contact our Admissions department at, or by calling during business hours.

Transcripts and Documents

What does “official transcript” mean and how do I get my academic documents evaluated and translated?

A transcript is official if it bears the authorizing signature and the official seal of the issuing institution and is sent directly by the school or college to the Admissions office or sealed in a school or college envelope and mailed or delivered to Admissions by you. If you open the envelope, the transcript is no longer official. Gnomon also accepts electronic transcript submissions.

Records from schools abroad must be originals, official, and in the native language. In addition, international transcripts must be accompanied by an official English translation and evaluation by one of the following agencies only:

How much does it cost to get my academic documents evaluated and translated?
Any costs incurred as a result of evaluation and translation services are the responsibility of the applicant and may range from approximately $75 to $200 U.S. dollars. Processing times may range from 2–4 weeks, depending on the agency. Rush services are usually available for an additional fee. Evaluations and translations issued by agencies other than the ones listed above will not be accepted.
I’ve already sent my transcripts to Gnomon. Do I need to send a new copy each time I apply?
The Admissions office will keep transcripts and other credentials it receives for one calendar year.
I have completed secondary school in my home country. Is this the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma?

In many cases, yes, however, your secondary school transcript and/or diploma must be evaluated for equivalency to a United States high school diploma by one of the four agencies listed above.

Before sending your academic documents to one of the above listed evaluation agencies, you may check secondary school equivalency to the U.S. high school diploma, here:

If I possess a college degree from a non-U.S. institution, does this provide proof of high school completion for admission?
In most cases, yes. If your official evaluation states that your degree is the equivalent of either an associate or bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, you do not need to supply additional high school documentation, however, evaluation and translation requirements still apply.
If I have previously attended a U.S. college and have provided a transcript, do I still need to provide proof of high school completion for admission?
If you earned an associate or bachelor’s degree at a regionally accredited U.S. institution, or if your official evaluation indicates the equivalent of an associate or bachelor’s degree earned at a regionally accredited U.S. institution, you do not need to supply additional high school documentation.
What if I cannot fulfill the high school requirement with the documents I possess?
Please visit the American Council on Education website for information about General Equivalency Diploma testing.

English Language Proficiency

How and where do I take the TOEFL test?
The TOEFL test is offered via Internet-based testing (iBT). Tests will be administered on fixed dates. For detailed schedule information, please visit
How long does the TOEFL process take?

The exam consists of four sections: reading, listening, speaking and writing. The total appointment time is approximately four and one half hours.

Scores will be posted online within two weeks of the test date. Login to your online TOEFL iBT account, enter the ETS ID received when you registered and click on the "View Scores" link. Your scores are also mailed to the universities or institutions you selected when you registered. A score report posting schedule for each test administration is available on the TOEFL iBT test site.

Allow 7–10 days for mail delivery in the United States. We recommend that you take the test two to three months before your earliest application deadline.

What is the Gnomon institution code for the TOEFL?
Gnomon’s TOEFL code is 9168. You do not need to specify a department code, only the university code 9168.
How should the TOEFL scores be submitted?
TOEFL test scores should be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to Gnomon (Code 9168).
How long are TOEFL scores valid for?
TOEFL scores are valid for two years after the test date. Scores will be considered expired if the test was taken more than two years prior to submission of the application.
Which module of the IELTS should I take?
Gnomon will accept scores from either module: Academic or General Training. To meet Gnomon's minimum standard, applicants must attain a band score of at least 6 on a 9-point scale.
What is the IELTS test format and how long will it take?
IELTS has four parts — Listening (30 minutes), Reading (60 minutes), Writing (60 minutes) and Speaking (11–14 minutes). The total test time is 2 hours and 45 minutes. The Listening, Reading and Writing tests are done in one sitting. The Speaking test may be on the same day or up to seven days before or after the other tests. Find out more and see a test sample.
When will I receive my IELTS test results?

Your Test Report Form will be posted to you 13 calendar days after your test date. All test centres will post your Test Report Form to you. Keep your Test Report Form in a secure place as you only receive one copy. Some test centres provide SMS alerts and an online results service.

Contact your local test center to find out more.

How long are IELTS scores valid for?
IETLS scores are valid for two years after the test date; scores will be considered expired if the test was taken more than two years prior to submission of the application.
How should the IELTS scores be submitted?

Applicants must order one or more Test Result Forms (TRF) when registering to take the test. You are responsible for providing Gnomon with an official TRF of your IELTS. Forms can be sent to:

Attn: Admissions
1015 N. Cahuenga Blvd. Ste. 5430I
Los Angeles, CA 90038


Do I need to submit a separate application for scholarship consideration?
No—all applicants are considered for scholarships when they are reviewed for admission. You do not need to submit anything additional.
Who is eligible to apply for a scholarship?
In order to be eligible for consideration, candidates must be an applicant to a Gnomon full-time program – either our BFA program or our Certificate program. Applicants must have completed all application requirements prior to the corresponding deadline and have no previous record of acceptance or enrollment in a Gnomon full-time program.
How will I be notified if I’m offered a scholarship?
Recipients will be notified by the Admissions Office. The scholarship award amount and other details will be included in the applicant’s letter of acceptance.
Are scholarships available for International students?
Yes—all applicants are considered for scholarships regardless of country of citizenship. However, Gnomon Scholarship awards may not be included as proof of funding or be used to reduce the minimum funding amount required on the Certification of Finances Form.