Spring Term Update
Hello Gnomon Community,
With Spring Term classes now underway, Gnomon is happy to share that we’ve experienced a very smooth roll-out of our custom-built online course platform. While the college has had many years of experience delivering distance education, we have not rested on our past success. We are in full understanding of the importance of providing our students with the education and services they have come to expect, uninterrupted and without compromise. As a school that is predominantly technology-based, we are fortunate to have been uniquely positioned to move into a virtual paradigm with relative ease. While not one of us know exactly when we will be able to move back to physical campus and classrooms, we are grateful to be comfortable in a virtual paradigm and are confident that Gnomon will continue to meet our mission with and for you.
New Initiatives for Spring 2020
A number of initiatives have been implemented to provide students with support and stability during this period:
- Equipment Loaning: Through a detailed survey, assessment and delivery process, program students have received computer equipment on loan from Gnomon’s inventory of hardware.
- Virtual Counseling: The School is providing a virtual counseling service to students seeking a resource for coping skills and other mental health-related issues.
- Learning Resources: Through the Gnomon Library Online Catalog, students have access to ebooks, digital magazines, open access resources, and more, available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the convenience of home.
- Render Farm Discounts: Gnomon has partnered with RebusFarm, Chaos Cloud , and GridMarkets - online render services that support a variety of software. Program students are offered a discount of:
- 70% off RebusFarm
- 51% off Chaos Cloud
- 30% off GridMarkets
- 10% Refund on Student Fees: Program students have received a 10% refund on their quarterly student fees.
- No Tuition Increase: Addressing the economic impact felt by our nation, the School is waiving all tuition increases for 2020.
- New Student Affairs Manager: In an effort to improve and expand the services available to our students, Gnomon has hired Carmen Munoz as Student Affairs Manager.
- General Assistance and Support: Gnomon is providing students with assistance navigating processes related to coronavirus, such as collecting the Economic Impact Payment from the IRS.
- Personal, One-on-One Academic Support: Students have begun utilizing the Academic Mentoring Center (AMC) remotely. The AMC is populated by multiple faculty members representing all programs. Academic mentors are available Monday-Friday by appointment.
Our event programing and community outreach has moved to a virtual space but has not slowed down. Gnomon is continuing to offer our community a variety of streaming presentations and industry related events designed to inspire and educate.
- Art Jam: Tune in each week to watch Gnomon’s Josh Herman (The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy) take us through his creative process in Pixologic’s ZBrush every Wednesday at 9:00 AM PDT on Twitch or view any previous sessions you may have missed.
- Industry Talks: Stream our free, live and pre-recorded Gnomon Industry Talks through the event section of our website. Any past event that has a video icon displayed on the title card is available to watch through Livestream or Twitch.
- Info Sessions: Our new weekly Virtual Info Sessions for prospective students offer a comprehensive overview of Gnomon’s academic offerings and the various career paths for digital artists in our industry. Visit our Twitch Channel for more information.
Graduate placement is full steam ahead! Studios are actively reviewing reels and ArtStation pages, interviewing, giving out art tests and hiring our graduates remotely. The Placement Office has had multiple students secure jobs these last weeks, and graduates have landed positions with studios such as Lightstorm, Deviation Games, Blizzard, Luma Pictures, Halon, among others. The Placement Office is also busy conducting Zoom sessions each week with other studios interested in hiring Gnomon alums. Most recently, many new requests for Gnomon graduates have come from VR studios looking to quickly release content for home viewing.
While our Placement Office is working primarily with recent graduates and students in their final terms, they are also available to speak with any student about general industry questions, reel and resume review, and how to best market yourself. Reach out to them anytime!
Message to Prospective Students
With prospective students looking to the future, applications to our full-time programs have not slowed down due to current stay-in-place orders. Gnomon’s Admissions advisors are as accessible as ever to provide portfolio feedback, schedule phone and skype consultations, and help students map out their individualized educational paths.
Gnomon is currently accepting applications for our 2-year certificate and bachelors degree program, for both Summer and Fall of 2020. Individual courses and portfolio development courses are also available for registration.
Considering transferring from another college? Our admissions team can walk you through the application steps and review your transfer credit options. If you’re unsure about how to obtain academic transcripts due to school closures, reach out to us- we’re happy to help you.
Lastly, to our student body, we want to extend a heartfelt thank you for trusting Gnomon with your education as we settle into this “new normal,” at least for the time being. While we navigate the many uncertainties of our current moment, we are excited to move forward with you seeking new opportunities for our community, offering holistic academic and wellness support, and continually striving to offer an unparalleled educational experience. Gnomon is as committed to our students’ successes as ever.