Are classes still being held online for 2021 Summer?
Yes, all Gnomon courses will continue being held remotely through our Gnomon Online system.
Can I come to campus during the 2021 Summer term? If so, when and what rooms are available?
Yes. Gnomon will have Labs 8 & 9, Lecture 1, and the Library available specifically for program students who need to complete out-of-class work/homework. These spaces will be open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. There will be no classes held in person or on campus during the Summer term.
Gnomon will continuously assess demand and make more spaces and/or hours available as needed.
Do I have to do homework/work on campus during Summer or can I continue remotely?
Reopening Gnomon’s campus is meant to provide more options for students to work. No student is required to go to campus for the Summer term as it is completely optional.
How do I sign up to come on campus for the Summer term in order to do out-of-class work/homework?
Program students will be provided specific instructions on how to reserve access to the available rooms on campus, along with detailed information on all rules and regulations. Vaccination documentation will be requested.
Will other Gnomon campus facilities be available during the Summer term?
All lavatories within the defined space (Labs 8, 9, Lecture 1, and Library) will be available for student use. No other interior rooms or spaces (front desk, offices, student kitchens, etc.) on campus will be available to students. Students may utilize outdoor areas for eating/drinking while on campus, as long as the safety protocols are followed.
Where are the available rooms and facilities located on campus?
Facility areas currently planned for use during the Summer term are located on the second floor of the Hollywood Exchange building (formerly Television Center) within Gnomon’s campus. Second floor areas are not accessible by elevator, however, Gnomon will add additional spaces to expand accessibility, as needed.


Will the school completely reopen in 2021 Fall?
Beginning 2021 Fall, BFA and Certificate students should expect all their courses to be held on-campus and in-person. Students experiencing or anticipating challenges related to returning to campus are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Affairs.
What if I am experiencing financial hardship that makes returning to campus for 2021 Fall term not possible?
Students who are experiencing financial difficulties are encouraged to contact our Office of Financial Aid to discuss assistance options.


What will the safety protocols be during the 2021 Summer term? How will the campus be maintained to maximize the safety of Gnomon’s community?
Any student interested in studying on campus during the Summer term will receive all health and safety protocols, rules, and regulations prior to the term start. Each student will be required to provide necessary documentation and follow all steps before being allowed to return to campus.
County guidelines that determine Gnomon’s ability to operate in person are changing rapidly. For this reason, many details about specific health and safety protocols listed below will change.
Gnomon has purchased and will have in each opened classroom, lab and library Aerus Pure & Clean w/ ActivePure Technology air filtration units to be placed in all spaces opening for Summer. Gnomon Operations is working closely with the property owners of the Hollywood Exchange property (formerly TVC) to upgrade HVAC system with advanced filtration, heightening MERV and HEPA standards for internal air filtration.
PPE Supplies and Cleaning Stations for proper hand hygiene and disinfection will be made available to all students, staff and faculty at strategic locations campus-wide.
Work processes are reconfigured to the extent feasible to increase opportunities for Gnomon staff to work from home to maximize physical distancing.
All staff working on campus during this period, have been fully vaccinated, and told not to come to work if sick, or if they have been exposed to a person who has COVID-19. Gnomon staff understand to follow DPH guidance for self-isolation and quarantine, if applicable.
Gnomon has:
  • A designated COVID-19 Compliance Task Force that is responsible for establishing and enforcing all COVID-19 safety protocols and ensuring that staff and students receive education about COVID-19.
  • A designated COVID-19 Compliance Officer who serves as a liaison to DPH in the event of an outbreak on campus.
  • Entry screenings which will be conducted before any staff, students or faculty enter the campus. Screening will include involve a “packaging” pipeline where screening questions are asked and proof of vaccination will be uploaded to a secure data repository. Screening questions will concern cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, fever or chills, a new loss of taste or smell and whether the employee is currently under isolation or quarantine orders. These checks will be done remotely to onboard and in person upon the individual’s arrival at a check in kiosk. A temperature check will also be done at the worksite. Any individuals who screen positive may not enter the worksite.
  • Masks that will be available, at no cost, to all individuals entering the campus. An appropriate face mask that covers the nose and mouth is required. Please see mask instructional webpage at http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd/ncorona2019/masks. The mask must be worn by all individuals at all times while on campus when in contact or likely to come into contact with others. Faculty members, teachers or lecturers may wear face shields with a cloth drape attached to the bottom of the shield and tucked into the shirt, instead of face masks when lecturing, provided that they remain 10 feet from the nearest student or other employee. All employees must wear face masks at all times except when working alone in private offices with closed doors or when eating or drinking. The exception made previously for employees working in cubicles with solid partitions exceeding the height of the employee while standing is overridden.
  • Ensured that masks are worn consistently and correctly. All individuals on site are discouraged from eating or drinking except during their breaks when they are able to safely remove their masks and physically distance from others. At all times when eating or drinking, employees must maintain at least a six-foot distance from others. When eating or drinking, it is preferred to do so outdoors and away from others, if possible. Eating or drinking at a cubicle or workstation is preferred to eating in a breakroom if eating in a cubicle or workstation provides greater distance from and barriers between workers.
  • Mandated that all individuals entering campus are instructed to wear their face masks properly and to properly wash, replace, or sanitize their face mask frequently.
  • Mandated that all individual workstations, or individuals working in the same areas as part of a team are separated by at least six feet.
  • Mandated that all employees, vendors and delivery personnel have been provided instructions regarding maintaining physical distancing and the use face masks when around others.
  • Ensure break rooms, restrooms, classrooms, labs, offices and other common areas and commonly touched items will be disinfected no less than once per day. Enhanced cleaning of all campus buildings will be completed on a regular basis by a professional cleaning service and trained custodial staff.
  • Mandated that face masks will be required outdoors for unvaccinated students any time physical distancing cannot be maintained, including when attending crowded outdoor events.
  • Disallowed the use of drinking fountains as this is prohibited. Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to carry their own water and to use water refilling stations where available for personal water bottles. Water refilling stations should be cleaned and disinfected regularly. Post signs at refilling stations that encourage users to wash or sanitize their hands after refilling.
The most current guidelines from the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health and the CDC will be posted and made available to all individuals entering the Gnomon campus in both printed and digital formats.
Will all on campus employees during 2021 Summer Term be required to get the COVID-19 vaccination?
Yes, all employees who are working on campus during the Summer term will be required to receive and provide proof of the COVID 19 vaccination.
What will the safety protocols be during the 2021 Fall term? How will the campus be maintained to maximize the safety of Gnomon’s community?
County guidelines that determine Gnomon’s ability to operate in-person are changing rapidly, and very few protocols are at the School’s discretion. For this reason, many details about Fall Term, including specific health and safety protocols such as requiring the Covid-19 vaccine, personal protective equipment, social distancing, and additional best-practices, are still being examined by multiple offices.
The School will continue to seek guidance from public health experts on what is legally permitted and medically advisable, and we will certainly keep our student population, and entire community, informed. We will keep our community regularly updated as more specific information is made available.
Will Gnomon require students to get the COVID 19 vaccination?
For reserved access to the campus during the 2021 Summer term, yes, students must be vaccinated. All students who wish to enter campus during the Summer term must be fully vaccinated in advance of arriving on campus. Campus access is optional and is limited to program students only.
For the 2021 Fall term, a decision has not been made regarding a vaccine requirement for attendance, as County guidelines are changing rapidly. The School will continue to seek guidance from public health experts on what is legally permitted and medically advisable, and we will certainly keep our student population, and entire community, informed.
What does it mean to be fully immunized/vaccinated?
In general, people are considered fully vaccinated:
  • 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
  • 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's Janssen vaccine.
I do not plan on receiving the COVID-19 vaccine due to religious, medical, or philosophical reasons. Will this prevent me from attending Gnomon in the future?
No. While the school has not announced a vaccination requirement to attend courses during the 2021 Fall term, such requirements would allow for exemptions.
Once the campus opens in 2021 Fall, how will Gnomon handle known cases of COVID-19 among its community?
Gnomon has been certified in COVID-19 Safety Compliance by the Los Angeles Department of Public Health. We are prepared to fully implement all required COVID-19 protocols as outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the LACDPH to minimize the spread of COVID-19.
Gnomon has a designated COVID-19 Compliance Task Force that is responsible for establishing and enforcing all COVID-19 safety protocols and ensuring that staff, faculty and students receive education about COVID-19. Gnomon also has a designated COVID-19 Compliance Officer who serves as a liaison in the event of an outbreak on campus.
A COVID-19 Prevention Program and Response Plan has been crafted and is available per request.
In the case of a positive COVID-19 case, the area in question would be evacuated and closed off as soon as possible. A request to our cleaning crew for a deep clean and sanitizing service (hospital grade) would be placed immediately. In some cases, it might be best to let the room “rest” 24 hours before sending a crew in to clean and sanitize.
Any individual on campus who had potential COVID-19 exposure will be contacted to notify them of their potential or presumed exposure and directed to quarantine and seek testing per CADPH guidelines.
Detailed due diligence and notifications will be provided and reported to the LA County Department of Public Health.
What will be the capacity restrictions for in-person class attendance?
Specific safety protocols, such as capacity restrictions, are yet to be determined as they are subject to the County’s rapidly changing guidelines. Gnomon is currently within best-practices and is limiting access to all campus areas, labs and other spaces.
Gnomon’s classrooms have always remained small, with no more than 18 students in a physical classroom and an average class size of 10 students. Capacity restrictions will be totally adopted to fulfill our obligation to keep students, staff and faculty safe.


I am a program student with a loaned Gnomon workstation. When am I required to return it?
All loaned workstations must be returned to Gnomon prior to the 2021 Fall Term start, October 11th, 2021. Each individual who was issued a loaned workstation will be contacted by the Technology Office via Gnomon email containing all instructions and deadlines of returning the equipment.


When will I be able to tour the campus?
Physical campus tours will resume in the 2021 Fall Term, or earlier upon announcement. Health and safety protocols will be determined and clarified at the time of announcement. For more information, please contact our Office of Admissions.
In the meantime, please visit the Campus page on our website.
I am an incoming program student starting in the 2021 Summer term. Will I have access to a loaned workstation? Will I be required to attend physical labs?
Incoming students beginning in 2021 Summer will have access to loaner workstations, as appropriate. Access to Gnomon’s campus during the Summer term is optional and will not be necessary to complete your coursework. Please see our Remote Learning Information & FAQ.
I am in incoming program student starting in 2021 Summer or 2021 Fall. Will there be an in-person orientation or opportunity to meet my classmates?
Student Orientation for 2021 Summer and 2021 Fall will be held online. However, for the 2021 Fall term, several in-person events and student activities are currently in the planning stages. Virtual events designed to build community will continue throughout the 2021 Summer term.


When will the campus be open to non-program students, such as those enrolled in individual courses or the Foundation in Art and Design?
The campus will be open to all enrolled students in the 2021 Fall term.
I am not a program student, but I am vaccinated. Can I access the campus in the 2021 Summer term?
Unfortunately, no. Access to campus facilities is limited to program students only. We appreciate your patience and look forward to welcoming you back to campus in the 2021 Fall term.


Do you have any housing options for domestic and international students?
Yes. Information about housing can be found on the Gnomon Housing page on the Gnomon website, as well as in our Gnomon Housing and Visitor’s Guide. Many incoming students also find value in connecting with their future classmates to share housing postings and find roommates via Gnomon’s Housing Facebook page
Disclaimer: Gnomon does not own, operate, or control any campus or non-campus student housing, including Kapi Residences. All prospective tenants are encouraged to use good judgement when evaluating prospective units and apartment properties.
Please contact the Office of Student Affairs with any questions and/or concerns.
How can I best take care of my mental wellbeing during Covid-19 public health crisis?
As a Gnomon program student, you have access to wellness resources such as confidential virtual counseling and the Gnomon Student Services Program (GSAP) to support your needs as you pursue your academic goals.
Virtual Counseling
Our resident counselor, Dr. Jason Waterman has over 25 years of experience working in the field of mental health and substance abuse and is a Certified Substance Abuse Counselor. He holds a doctorate in Psychology and is licensed by the Board of Behavioral Sciences as a Marriage and Family Therapist.
Dr. Jason assists students with adopting healthy coping skills, while providing the tools and motivation necessary to accomplish their educational and professional goals.
He draws from various psychological approaches and uses a combination of cognitive-behavioral and humanistic therapies to approach treatment issues.
Program students can schedule a free, confidential appointment with Dr. Jason Waterman within their Student Portal.
How can I connect with current students?
There are many ways to become part of Gnomon’s vibrant student community:
Student Council:
Whether you want to learn more about student organizations or participate in virtual events, the Student Council is a valuable resource.
For more information on how you can get involved, contact your Student Council or visit the Gnomon Student Council Facebook group.
Student Clubs:
There are various student-run Gnomon Clubs (Animation, Games, Life Drawing, VFX), which provide an energetic community forum for collaboration, learning, and experience within specific disciplines. Club activities include, but are not limited to, guest speakers, sketch events, career-specific lectures, and social/virtual gatherings. Students are welcome to join multiple clubs.


Please review the information below as it pertains to you. We will be updating this page frequently as we continue to receive information. You are advised to check this page regularly.

If you have concerns, please contact Gnomon’s Student Affairs Manager and PDSO, Carmen Munoz.

The information and advice indicated on this FAQ page is based on prevailing guidance as mandated by the US Dept. of Homeland Security. Please be advised that this information is subject to change; updates announced hereafter will be published on this page as soon as we receive official notification. Please check this page regularly for the most current information. Continuing F-1/M-1 students will also receive applicable notifications via their Gnomon email.


I enrolled in Gnomon’s Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2021, or Spring 2021 term. When will I receive my I-20 for the Fall 2021 term?
Students enrolled in any of the above terms will be issued I-20s and Visa Instructions for the 2021 Fall start term on June 1, 2021.
Please note: Gnomon can only issue your I-20 for the 2021 Fall term, as current SEVP guidance only allows PDSO’s to issue I-20s for the start terms that are 100% in person or hybrid.
I was admitted for the 2021 Summer or 2021 Fall term, when will I receive my I-20?
Your I-20 will be issued after June 1st, once you have submitted the following:
  • Non-refundable $150.00 Gnomon international student processing fee
  • Non-refundable $125.00 Confirmation of Acceptance fee
  • All Confirmation documents
Important note: If you were admitted for the 2021 Summer term, your I-20 will be issued for the 2021 Fall term. Current SEVP guidance only allows DSOs to issue I-20s for start terms that are 100% in person or hybrid.
How will I receive my I-20?
As part of SEVP COVID-19 procedural changes, PDSO’s may send Forms I-20 electronically to students via Gnomon email. Students will need to print the I-20 (all pages) and sign the Student Attestation section on page 1.
Once my visa is approved, how do I choose an arrival date?
When purchasing your plane ticket, international students should note the start date on their I-20. You may enter the United States no earlier than 30 days prior to the start date listed on the I-20.
The above information is not applicable to continuing students with a valid visa.
Am I allowed to continue taking my classes online even after Gnomon reopens campus fully?
In order to maintain a valid F1 or M1 visa status you must take in person courses once Gnomon reopens and resumes in person learning.
An online, or distance learning, course for the purpose of international student regulations means a course that is primarily offered through technology and does not require the student's physical attendance for classes, examinations or other purposes integral to completion of the class.
  • Only one online or distance learning class can count toward a full course of study for an F-1 student during each term.
  • No online or distance learning classes may count toward an M-1 student's full course of study requirement.
If you are unsure which courses count toward the requirements for a full course of study, talk to your Gnomon’s PDSO, Carmen Munoz to verify your schedule meets the requirements to maintain your status.
Please review https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/study/full-course-of-study for more information.
I am an International student who may be unable to return to campus for the 2021 Fall term due to travel or visa restrictions. Will I have an option to take courses remotely?
We are hopeful that travel restrictions may be lifted, and visa issuance timelines could improve prior to the 2021 Fall term, allowing our international students to participate in the return to campus. For students unable to enter the U.S. because of visa issues or the continuation of travel restrictions, Gnomon anticipates being permitted to offer remote learning as an accommodation, on a case-by-case basis.
Important Note: If you were issued an I-20 for the 2021 Fall term and are unable to enter the U.S. due to travel or visa restrictions, Gnomon’s PDSO may defer your I-20 to the following start term.
Please contact the Office of Student Affairs for more information.


Do students who already have valid visas but are outside of the United States need a new visa before they attempt to travel to the United States?
No, students with valid visas (not expired) do not need to apply for a new visa before traveling to the United States to resume their studies. However, students may still be subject to travel restrictions due to COVID-19. Students should check with the local U.S. embassy or consulate for information specific to their country.
I am a Continuing International Student (currently holding an F-1 or M-1 visa) and traveling to the U.S. Am I allowed to enter the United States? What documents do I need?
Yes, you may return to the United States. However, you will need to reach out to Gnomon’s PDSO, Carmen Munoz to update your I-20 with a current travel signature. The travel signature must be less than a year old.
Please also check your I-20 for accuracy, paying special attention to:
  • Biographical information
  • Major(s)
  • Program end date
  • Travel signature
You will also need to travel with a current passport (must be valid for at least 6 months after entry), and valid unexpired visa.
Please understand that, while Gnomon’s PDSO can provide general guidance on travel, admission into the U.S. and travel, restrictions imposed due to COVID-19 are at the discretion of the U.S. government.
Do I need a Covid-19 test to travel?
Yes, per the CDC International Travel Order. Students should be aware of the CDC order that went into effect January 26, 2021. Per this order: "Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers or documentation of recovery before they board. If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger."
More information can be found on the CDC’s FAQ page (updated May 7, 2021) and we advise students to contact their airline directly if they have questions about this policy.
How can I check if there is a travel ban in place for my home country?
US Travel Ban Guidance - Updated April 26th
On April 26th, the US government updated its National Interest Exception (NIE) guidance for certain travelers arriving from countries that currently have a US travel ban in place (as noted on the CDC’s website). Students should refer to the updated NIE guidance here. If you have specific questions about this guidance or your admissibility to the US, please contact the U.S. embassy in your country.
U.S. Travel Restrictions
Students arriving from countries that currently have a US travel ban in place, as noted on the CDC’s website, should refer to the updated National Interest Exception (NIE) guidance found here. If you have specific questions about this guidance or your admissibility to the U.S., please contact your U.S. embassy.
Gnomon is unable to guarantee any student’s ability to re-enter the U.S.
Who can I contact if I have questions about my immigration or any visa-related items?
Please contact Gnomon’s PDSO, Carmen Munoz or the Office of Student Affairs.


Where can I obtain information about health insurance?
Healthcare and health insurance are important aspects of your life while attending Gnomon and living in the United States. International students are required to have adequate health insurance throughout the duration of their F-1 or M-1 student status. While you are encouraged to find a health insurance plan that works best for you, plans from International Student Insurance (ISI) are available for you to consider. For more information visit International Student Insurance (ISI) and review plan brochures for comparison:
GeoBlue Navigator Health Plan
Student Secure
Visit International Student Insurance’s “Insurance Explained” to obtain information available in video and article format to help you dissect and understand insurance in the U.S.
Disclaimer: Gnomon does not endorse any particular health insurance plan or healthcare provider. Any information or links to external websites, contacts, and/or non-Gnomon information provided are provided as a courtesy. It is a student’s responsibility to obtain a health insurance plan that meets their needs.