How To Apply


Ready to apply? Admissions Advisors are available to guide you through every step of the application process, including offering feedback on your portfolio, answering all your questions, and providing assistance along the way.

Frequently Asked Questions

Applying to Gnomon

I just want to take a couple of classes. Do I need to submit an application?

No—applications are only required for students who wish to pursue full-time programs, including our BFA program and our 2-year Certificate in Digital Production program. Individual courses are open for registration. You can view the registration opportunities for each term on our academic calendar.

How do I know if my portfolio is good enough to apply?

Our Admissions team is available to conduct preliminary portfolio reviews to help you determine if you’re ready to apply. You are welcome to give us a call to schedule an appointment, or send an email to Admissions to get started. You can also start by reviewing our portfolio guidelines.

I’m still working on my portfolio. When should I submit my application?

You do not need to submit your portfolio at the same time as the application itself. If you are planning to apply for an upcoming term, we recommend submitting your online application first—once received, you’ll be given a login to our student portal to review your other missing/received items and documents. Please bear in mind that space in each term is limited, so it’s recommended that you apply with plenty of time before the posted deadline. You can review our term dates and deadlines on our academic calendar.

How long does it take to find out if I’ve been accepted?

Gnomon operates on a rolling admissions system, and internal reviews are conducted year-round. Once all application materials and requirements have been received and completed, we will conduct our review and contact you with a result within one to three weeks.

What can I expect in the interview?

The interview exists to ensure you’re an appropriate fit for Gnomon. We’re seeking candidates who are researched about their industry, passionate, creative, and dedicated to success.

Can I transfer classes in from another school?

Students who have earned college credits from other institutions can be reviewed for credit. Whether or not credits are transferrable depends on which courses were taken and performance in each.

Do individual classes offer certificates?

No- certificates are only awarded upon graduation from a full-time program at Gnomon. You can, however, request a transcript upon completion of your class.

Does Gnomon offer housing?

Although Gnomon does not own or operate campus or non-campus student housing, we aim to provide incoming students with the necessary information and resources to assist in their housing search. We recommend students begin to explore housing options several months before their expected move-in date.

Gnomon has established a relationship with Kapi Residences to provide students with off-campus, furnished student apartments just minutes from campus. For more information on Kapi Residences and other options, please see the Housing & Visitor’s Guide or visit our Housing section.

Will I be able to work while attending Gnomon?

Due to the advanced nature of our courses and programs and high volume of projects and homework, it is recommended that full-time students focus primarily on their studies while attending.

When can I visit campus?

We offer Open Houses, which is a great opportunity to tour our campus, speak with Admissions representatives, and learn more about the Entertainment industry and our educational options. You can view our open house schedule for more details. If you are unable to attend, you can set up a personal tour and appointment by contacting our Admissions department, or by calling during business hours.

Academic Documents

What does “official transcript” mean?

A transcript is official if it bears the authorizing signature and the official seal of the issuing institution and is sent directly by the school or college to the Admissions office or sealed in a school or college envelope and mailed or delivered to Admissions by you. If you open the envelope, the transcript is no longer official. Gnomon also accepts electronic transcript submission.

Records from schools abroad must be originals, official, and in the native language, accompanied by official English translations.

I’ve already sent my transcripts to Gnomon. Do I need to send a new copy each time I apply?

The Admissions office will keep transcripts and other credentials it receives for one calendar year.

I was homeschooled or otherwise do not possess a traditional High School education. What are my alternatives?

Gnomon will accept passing scores from either the GED, HiSET, TASC, or CHSPE exams for equivalency. For more information on approved academic documents, you may contact our Admissions department at

Financial Aid

I think I might need financial aid. How do I know if I’m eligible?

Gnomon is authorized by the government to offer Federal financial aid to those who qualify and are accepted and enrolled into a full-time program.

For students registering in individual courses, or courses within the Foundation in Art & Design series, Federal assistance is not available. However, a private education loan may be considered as an alternative. For more information about private education loans, please email the Financial Aid Office.

All students interested in seeking Federal financial assistance will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Include Gnomon’s school code, 040764 so that it will be directly sent to us for review.

Which programs at Gnomon are eligible for Federal Financial Aid?

What are the different types of financial aid available?

Gnomon offers Federal Student Aid through the FAFSA: Pell Grants, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants, Work-Study, Direct Loans for students, and Direct PLUS Loans for parents of dependent students. In addition, Gnomon offers the California state Cal Grant and private education loans.

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don’t qualify and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply. In addition, there are a few sources of aid such as Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans and PLUS loans that are available regardless of financial need. The FAFSA application is free so it doesn’t hurt to apply.

Will my parents’ income affect my financial aid?

When you complete the FAFSA, you will answer questions that determine dependency status. If you are considered dependent, you will be required to enter your parents’ tax information for consideration. This will affect the amount of aid you would be eligible for. If your answers determine that you are independent, you will not be asked for your parents’ information.

For more information on dependency status, click HERE.

What is the difference between government loans and private education loans?

Federal Direct Loans include many benefits such as fixed interest rates and various repayment plans not typically offered with private education loans. In contrast, private loans are credit-based and generally more expensive than Federal student loans because of higher interest rates.

Detailed information about these differences can be found HERE.

How do I complete my FAFSA?

To prepare for the FAFSA, please watch this short video.

When you are ready, go to to complete the FAFSA online.

When should I apply?

A new Financial Aid award year begins each July and covers Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters. You must renew your FAFSA every year. You can now apply for next year’s FAFSA as early as October 1st of this year. To receive maximum consideration for aid, it is best to complete the FAFSA at least eight weeks prior to the start date of the term you wish to enter.

For this quarter, apply by:

  • Summer 2022 (July 11th): May 2022
  • Fall 2022 (October 10th): August 2022
  • Winter 2023 (January 9th): November 2022
  • Spring 2023 (April 10th): February 2023

In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?

Yes. In order to receive Federal aid from year to year, you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The FAFSA covers the time between July 1st of one year to June 30th of the next. You can file the FAFSA starting October 1st in the year prior to the year you want to apply for. If necessary, you may estimate your taxes to complete the form, but we recommend waiting until you’ve completed your taxes.

When will I find out how much financial aid I will be receiving?

The first step is completing the (FAFSA) online at Our school code is 040764. Once we receive the FAFSA, we can create an estimate for your entire program within a day or two. From there, we will schedule a meeting with you to discuss your options. You can even do this before you apply for admission. Just give us a call or send us an email when you have the FAFSA completed and we can get started.

Will the financial aid offered at one school transfer to another school?

Not necessarily. Your Federal financial aid eligibility does transfer from school to school. Students planning to transfer to another school should contact the Financial Aid Office at both schools to find out what is required.

If I have outstanding loans, what is the likelihood of getting more aid?

It depends. The government limits the amount of Federal Direct Loan aid students can receive. As long as you have not defaulted on your previous loans, these are the maximums you are allowed to borrow:

Dependent - Up to $31,000

Independent - Up to $57,500

I am not a U.S. Citizen, will I qualify for financial aid?

If you are an eligible non-citizen with an Alien Registration number you could qualify for Federal financial aid. Generally, if you have a “green card” (in other words, if you are a permanent resident), you will be considered an “eligible noncitizen” and will be able to get Federal financial aid if you meet the other basic eligibility criteria. Full details of the immigration status that qualifies you as an eligible noncitizen are listed here for Non U.S. Citizens.

Will financial aid cover the cost of living while I attend Gnomon?

Federal financial aid is limited and does not even cover our tuition in full. Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans can help with living expenses as well as covering remaining tuition for those students who are determined to be dependent. For independent students, a private education loan would be the best option. For more information contact

What private loans are available to me?

The Financial Aid Office offers private education loan options from College Ave and Sallie Mae. These loans are used to help make up the difference between Federal financial aid and the total cost of attending Gnomon, including estimated living expenses. Unlike Federal Direct Loans, approval for a private education loan is based on your personal credit history and that of your co-signer (these loans will most likely require a co-signer).

Who can I call for more information regarding Financial Aid at Gnomon?

Begin with Gnomon’s Financial Aid Office. Contact us at (323) 466-6663 or by email at You will be directed accordingly from there. The Financial Aid Office is open Monday through Friday, from 10am to 6pm; however, additional days and times may be available by appointment.

What happens if I withdraw from school?

That depends on when you withdraw. You have the ability to withdraw anytime during the first seven days of any term without penalty. If you withdraw during the first six weeks of a quarter, we are required to prorate your charges and financial aid and send back any funds that are considered ‘unearned.’ If you withdraw between terms, there is no refund. In addition, if you borrowed Federal Direct Loans, you must complete Exit Counseling as part of your obligation to the Federal government. If you’d prefer, the Financial Aid Office can set up a meeting to go over your repayment options and advise you about what to expect during repayment status. Usually, students have a 6-month grace period after graduation (or withdrawal) before repayment begins. You will need to contact your loan servicer (the agency that the government has assigned to service your loan) within 6 months after you graduate or withdraw.